Tonsillitis is an inflammation of the tonsils which are masses of soft tissue found at the back of the mouth and on both sides of the throat. The tonsils are glands and part of the immune system and prevent infection due to bacteria or virus that enters the nose and mouth.
Sometimes the tonsils can become infected and cause swelling and inflammation of the tissues. Tonsillitis can be caused by virus or bacteria. Children and teenagers are susceptible to this condition but it can also affect adults of any age.
Symptoms of tonsillitis
- Pain and difficulty with swallowing
- Sore throat
- Difficulty feeding affected babies
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Runny nose
- Swelling and redness of the tonsils
- Bad breath
- Tenderness in the glands of the neck or swelling lymph glands
- Redness of the eyes
- White patches or streaks on the tonsils
- Pain in the ear
- Influenza virus
- Parainfluenza virus
- Epstein-Barr virus
- Herpes simplex
- Take plenty of rest for fast healing of the condition.
- Gargle with salt water to lessen the pain and the inflammation caused by sore throat and tonsillitis. Gargle and swiss through the mouth for at least several seconds and spit it out. Rinse the mouth using regular water.
- Install humidifiers to relieve of the sore throat and dry mouth due to tonsillitis. Use cool-mist humidifier is good for the condition if tonsillitis is caused by virus. Another alternative if humidifier is not available, run a shower in hot setting and inhale the steam from the shower also provides humidity and lessen the symptoms.
- Eat soft foods and drink liquids to lessen the pain and the discomforts. Mix 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup and add hot water. Mix them well and drink the mixture as needed. Water prevents drying and irritations on the tonsils. Another alternative is drinking hot teas, warm broth and hot liquids to relieve on pain in the throat.
- Suck on lozenges that has topical anesthetic to lessen the pain and the discomforts.
- Prescribed corticosteroid medications for severe swelling and pain.
- Prescribed pain medications to lessen the pain and the inflammation.
- Prescribed antibiotics to lessen the symptoms of tonsillitis caused by bacteria.
- Boost immune system of the body by increasing the consumption of Vitamin C rich foods such as oranges, mangoes and other fruits and vegetables to prevent inflammation of the tonsils.
- Stop smoking.
- Maintain dental hygiene by visiting the dentist regularly.